Re: Hiki and meri

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 22:02:56 PDT

Timothy,

I found out after graduating from Cornell that there was a prof there
who played shakuhachi--that was "way" back in the 80s though. I often
thought "if only I'd heard shakuhachi my freshman year...." Anyway, you
could look into that.

I for one have never heard of "u no san." There's "san no u" in the kan
range, which is the same pitch as hi-meri (b-flat on a 1.8) but played
dai-kari, so it's played strongly rather than quietly.
In Dokyoku (BTW it's a long "o" so it should be written Dohkyoku or
Doukyoku, but the convention seems to be Dokyoku...) one plays u in the
otsu range opening only hole 3, except when moving between tsu-meri and
u, and the pitch is a-flat on a 1.8; u dai-meri, called circle-u
because of the way it's notated, is the same pitch as re (g on a 1.8);
the note is played dai-meri, meaning one decreases the angle between
flute and face even more, and it's okay to shade hole 3 a bit. As was
said before, same pitch as re, different tone color.
Hiki means to pull--I've never seen the book you're referring to, but
perhaps he means pulling the meri note even more, so that u would be a
u dai meri, thus equalling re. This is one of the beauties of
shakuhachi--tone color is the key, so yes the pitch is the same, but
the quality of sound is bery different. Take the piece San'an--the
first five notes are u/u dai meri/tsu meri/tsu dai meri/tsu meri. You
could play u or chi meri/re/tsu meri/ro/tsu meri, but the feeling would
be completely different; it would be a different piece as far as I'm
concerned.
When I was studying the Jin Noydo style of honkyoku, I was told to play
u with 1 and 3 open; for sankyoku aka gaikyoku I was told to open only
hole 3. Same pitch, different tone color. BTW the same applied to
ri--open 1 for honkyoku, close it for sankyoku. I'm sure Ronnie Seldin
can clear up any lingering confusion for you when you see him in
Syracuse. Good luck,

Peter H