Re: Hiki and meri

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 06:42:06 PDT

At 06:53 PM 7/17/03 -0700, Peter H wrote:

>...grammatically, it doesn't
>really make sense. San no u--"u's san"--means the san type, so to
>speak, of u, in other words one variation of u. U no san would mean the
>u type of the third hole, which, to me at least, is nonsensical.

Exactly my thoughts when I read your follow-up message to my mention of "u
no san." So I checked Christopher Yohmei Blasdel's separate fingering
chart accompanying his book, *The Shakuhachi*, and by golly it says "u no
san." That's obviously a typo, because the kan fingering chart on page 40
of his text proper says "san no u," consistent with the rest of the
terminology ("go no ha," "yon no ha," etc.) to say nothing of grammatically
correct. Thanks for the correction, Peter H.

Karl