Re: Hiki and meri

From: Morris M. Keesan (keesan@world.std.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 08:04:38 PDT

At 06:53 PM 7/17/2003 -0700, Peter H wrote:
>Even with the Kinko ryu you have various kai/sha etc so the
>terminology may vary. Being a stickler for such things I'm curious
>where you heard or read
["u-no-san"].

I studied in Kinko-ryu Reibo-kai; my teacher, Elizabeth Bennett, is Aoki
Reibo's student. I also learned the terminology "u-no-san", and also other
terminology like "hi-no-go". My nihongo skills are pretty rudimentary -- I
can order in restaurants, and ask directions on the street (without
understanding most of the response) -- but I know that the kinds of syntax
and grammar rules that I've internalized from English and other European
languages almost always lead to confusion when I try (consciously or
unconsciously) to apply them to Japanese.

--
Morris M. Keesan - keesan@world.std.com - http://world.std.com/~keesan/