CD release! Space Between w/ Matthew Sperry

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 07:22:55 PDT

i am very happy to annouce the release of this CD!
The label, 482 music is donating all profits to Matt's wife and daughter!
You can buy copies directly from me (15 dollars in person or via mail
in the US, 18 dollars overseas) or from Pauline, Dana or Stacia.
Copies will be available in stores later this summer.
CDs will be available at the big memorial concert on thursday night
in San Francisco which is almost sold out. Tom Waits was just added
to the concert thus it will sell out for sure.

Philip Gelb - shakuhachi
Pauline Oliveros - accordion
Dana Reason - piano
Matthew Sperry - bass

Track 1: Stacia
The Space Between
Recorded live at The Arts Center in Troy, NY
December 5, 2002 by Scott Smallwood.

Track 2: Lila
The Space Between with Matthew Sperry
Recorded live at the Center for New Music and Audio Technologies (CNMAT),
1750 Arch Street in Berkeley, CA
October 16,1999 by David Wessel.

Matt and I first met while we were attending the music school at
Florida State University. We became roomates in 1990-91 and remained
close friends since. I have always been in awe at how warm and kind
he was to every person and every living being he encountered! Matt
truly lived a very spiritual life that is a model for how the rest of
us should live.

Our musical careers grew together from being students to both
attaining a certain amount of reputability in the international new
music world. Through the years we were duet partners as well as being
in numerous trios and larger ensembles together. As friends we saw
each other through so many different experiences and relationships,
watching and helping each other grow. We inspired each other to begin
exploring organic gardening and further our culinary interests from
the kitchen to the garden. Matt was someone I always considered a
close friend for the rest of my life. You will notice that, on the
piece with Matt (Lila), towards the end as a very interesting section
is about to begin, the piece is cut short suddenly as the tape ends;
a seemingly appropriate way to end this recording.

The Space Between offers this CD as a tribute to the beautiful life
that Matthew Sperry lived.

Philip Gelb
June 24, 2003

-