Re: shakuhachi V1 #370

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 09:39:57 PDT

>Dear Phil,
>
>Thanks for letting us know about Matthew Sperry, the CD and the
>memorial concert.
>
>One thing: the reader of your email has to gradually discern the
>fact that Matthew has died. Unless I'm missing it, you don't
>actually say that. I did a google search and found out that he was
>killed in an accident on June 5th. I'm also learned a little more
>about his remarkable career from two sites:
>www.bayimproviser.com/artistdetail.asp?artist_id=87
>and
>
>http://matthewsperry.org/archives/000895.php
>
>I'll order the CD in another email from you directly, Phil. Thanks
>for the news.
>
>Peace,
>Jonas

Thanks for pointing this out Robert!

To put this all into context.....Matthew Sperry is one of my oldest
and closest friends. He is rather well known for being an exceptional
bass player and performed in a wide variety of contexts. He became
known in the popular music world for being the bass player on the
last 2 Tom Waits CDs and also being the bass player for the San
Francisco stage show, Hedwig and the Angry inch. He was also very
involved in avant garde chamber music and free improvisation as well
as playing in Klezmer bands and playing with various songwriters.
More important to those who know him personally, is he was one of the
finest human beings you will ever be blessed to know; an incredibly
kind and generous person and a very dear friend.
We were roomates back in music school at Florida State u. in 1990-91
and great friends, duet partners and collaborators on various musical
projects since.
He was tragically killed in a car accident in early June in Oakland
while he was riding his bicycle.
The label that released this recording, 482music are donating all
profits from this CD to his wife Stacia and his 2 year old daughter,
Lila.

For more information and photos of my dear friend, please look at
http://www.matthewsperry.org

best wishes for all of you,

phil

--