Re: Tanso/Korean Flute

From: Brian Ritchie (nemo2000@att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 08:31:58 PDT

Hi,

While playing shakuhachi in public places (parks, beaches, etc.) I have
been approached numerous times by Korean people who wonder how someone
like me could have learned Korean music and this Korean instrument. The
first time I tried to correct a Korean family and tell them it was
actually Japanese and I was playing a Japanese song, but they were
appalled by this suggestion and insisted they were familiar with the
song I was playing (Kumoi Jishi) and that it was definitely Korean.
Considering the history between the two countries I can see why they
would resist. I've had the same experience with Chinese people. Now
when an Asian person stops to listen and then asks me what kind of
music it is, if they are Chinese I say "Chinese" or if Korean,
"Korean". They are happy and usually say, "I know, I recognize it from
my childhood." Japanese people seldom pay any attention and just walk
by.

BR