Re: Tanso/Korean Flute

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 18:33:46 PDT

>Hi,
>
>While playing shakuhachi in public places (parks, beaches, etc.) I
>have been approached numerous times by Korean people who wonder how
>someone like me could have learned Korean music and this Korean
>instrument. The first time I tried to correct a Korean family and
>tell them it was actually Japanese and I was playing a Japanese
>song, but they were appalled by this suggestion and insisted they
>were familiar with the song I was playing (Kumoi Jishi) and that it
>was definitely Korean. Considering the history between the two
>countries I can see why they would resist. I've had the same
>experience with Chinese people. Now when an Asian person stops to
>listen and then asks me what kind of music it is, if they are
>Chinese I say "Chinese" or if Korean, "Korean". They are happy and
>usually say, "I know, I recognize it from my childhood." Japanese
>people seldom pay any attention and just walk by.
>
>BR

Hi Brian,

In Hawaii and Seattle I've had a much different response from
Japanese people. They'll often sing along while I play a folk song
they know.

Here's a tid bit of info. I know someone who learned Japanese and
shakuhachi while living in Brazil. I had no idea there was such a
large Japanese community there.

Peter

--
Peter Ross