Re: Tanso/Korean Flute

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 16:24:45 PDT

Hi all,

First, a note to all of you in and around the Bay Area....I had been
planning to be there around the 5th of September, but circumstances
require a change in plans, and give mea few days of dead time as well,
so I may go there this weekend. If any of you would like a lesson or
are looking for a shakuhachi in size 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, or 1.9, you can
email me off the list.

The t'aegum, though it is a side-blown flute, sounds somewhat similar
to a shakuhachi as it has a very large mouthpiece which allows for
about as much pitch variation as a shakuhachi, and gives the flute a
somewhat breathy tone, though the paper insert gives it a muchier
reedier sound than even the reediest shakuhachi.
What I find interesting about it and shakuhachi is that it seems that
among at least some people t'aegum is associated with a similar Rinzai
Zen aesthetic, though I don't know how official that association is.
One of its formeost players, Kim Young-dong, certainly falls in that
group. Personally, I think the music, by virute of the somewhat similar
construction and sound of the instruments, natrually lends itself to
that aesthetic.

Peter