RE: on vibrato

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 06:16:22 PDT

At 07:27 PM 8/17/03 -0700, Peter H wrote:
>...while Yamaguchi Goro's
>use of vibrato is considered excessive by some players, he pulled it
>off--beautifully, needless to say...honkyoku is supposed to be=20
>transparent, so to speak, and vibrato
>muddies things up.

Depends on what we're taught, as you said, Peter, and our "honnin no kyoku"=
=20
(personal interpretation). Yamaguchi's style is at one end of the=20
spectrum, representing a highly refined concert style intended for an=20
audience. Yet his inner serenity and detachment communicate the essence of=
=20
pure meditation. Chacun =E0 son gout.

Karl Signell