Re: on vibrato

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 12:26:52 PDT

Riley, in my post I didn't say that there is only one way to play
honkyoku, and that is without yuri. I said that someone like Yokoyama
or Kakizaki (or yourself) has a high level of authority, and that
therefore these players' opinion has weight. But notice that I
continued "We have to ask, what is the value of that authority--how to
balance that with our own taste or desire to express our inner selves."
I could have phrased it as "with what we think is the best way to play
the piece." As you say, when one has the confidence to play a piece as
one sees fit...I would add that gives one authority. Perhaps you're
implying that the bamboo, or our innate understanding of honkyoku, or
music, or life in general, is the final arbiter, but if so where's the
center? I'm as iconoclastic as the next person, maybe moreso, but I
think it's best to temper that with a certain amount of unquestioning
trust in one's teachers. That's just me though...
Rather than argue semantics, though, I'll restate my point--that, while
there are *perhaps* no absolutes in art or anything else, there are
differences that I would say are hierarchical, that is differing in
quality. How else could we look at a Jackson Pollock painting or a late
Picasso drawing and differentiate them from superfically similar works
that lack the inherent greatness of the former? I recently saw a photo
of a green anodized bar of aluminum with some pieces cut out that had
just sold for over $300,000, which I guess makes it great art. Maybe
I'm not subtle enough, but the value in something like that for me is
more around $3.95 plus tax.
In other words, the statement "everything is relative" is itself an
absolute statement.

Peter