Re: on vibrato

From: Bill Fletcher (bill@scienceandart.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 12:37:18 PDT

Nelson,

One cares about life beyond personal perception after they have grown
weary of what they consider to be the limitations of personal
perception. It's not what should be, it just happens. Personal
opinion can be everything to live for - or just in the way. And,
probably for many of us, there are shades of both - or we wouldn't be
talking about it.

For the one who does care, seeking the point of the master's perception
is a gathering of understanding and insight to add scope to life. As
opposed to a way of learning what is right and wrong or to grasp
something to believe in. One could play a piece without vibrato until
they truly understand why it is preferable to play it that way. And
then play it with vibrato until they truly understand why it is
preferable to play it that way. This would include no personal
opinion, just experience and the joy of adding scope to life.

2 cents,

Bill