Re: on vibrato

From: Tim Cassler (tim@toolbox.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 12:52:49 PDT

--B_3144322369_1661330

if we=B9re not careful, we=B9ll miss the forest for the trees.......

--=20

Tim Cassler
Toolbox Studios, Inc.
454 Soledad, Suite 100
San Antonio, TX 78205

210.225.8269 x111
fax.225.8200

> [...]
> There is nothing wrong with the first two examples I give. They each have
> their own level of importance. They each have their own level of ease and
> difficulty.
>=20
> The third way is simply different, sometimes harder, maybe more lonely, m=
ore
> challenging, more boring. Maybe requiring more courage in the fact that y=
ou
> are exploring "the undiscovered country", or maybe going against the grai=
n of
> the "historians". Yet, isn't that what we look for in our brilliant music=
ians
> and spiritual teachers, ie, their unique expression of the *universal* fr=
om
> their own deep exploration that touches and resonates with us and reminds=
 us
> of our connection with the universal? Isn't that what we admire and try t=
> emulate? Isn't that why we play shakuhachi (or any music) or meditate:
> "to seek what they sought" ; to find our connection with the universal or=
 the
> divine?
>=20
> ---------
> If I may make a brief comment on what Nelson wrote:
>=20
> "But let me introduce a little different slant. Maybe what the master sou=
ght
> is of little interest to me, maybe it's beyond my particular capabilities=
, and
> why should I pattern my life on the master's needs anyway? So maybe I sho=
uld
> seek not what the master sought but, instead, what I need. I can emulate =
the
> master's perseverance and dedication without using the master's particula=
> goals. I don't have much idea what the master sought (why should I care?=
) but
> I have some sense of what I'm after."
> --------------
> Nelson,
>=20
> There is a school of thought that says ultimately, we all have the same n=
eeds,
> eg returning to our connection to the "divine", or "universal experience"=
, or
> "the experience of Universal unconditional Love", however you want to def=
ine
> it. On the surface, needs may seem different. But if you go deep enough,
> really deep, and ignore "labels", what the master "needs" and sought is
> essentially the same as what you think you "need" and seek. "A rose by an=
> other name..."
>=20
> So yes, "...emulate the master's perseverance and dedication..." for your=
 own
> goals. Maybe you'll discover you reached the same place?

--B_3144322369_1661330

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: on vibrato</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">if we&#8217;re not careful, we&#8217;ll miss the fores=
t for the trees.......<BR>
<BR>
-- <BR>
<BR>
Tim Cassler<BR>
Toolbox Studios, Inc.<BR>
454 Soledad, Suite 100<BR>
San Antonio, TX 78205<BR>
<BR>
210.225.8269 x111<BR>
fax.225.8200<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<B>From: </B>Herb Rodriguez &lt;Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu&gt;<BR>
<B>Reply-To: </B>Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:29:36 -0600<BR>
<B>To: </B>Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>Re: on vibrato<BR>