Re: on vibrato

From: Tim Cassler (tim@toolbox.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 13:18:37 PDT

--B_3144323917_1754426

I did not say that you were missing the forest.

--

Tim Cassler Toolbox Studios, Inc. 454 Soledad, Suite 100 San Antonio, TX 78205

210.225.8269 x111 fax.225.8200

> From: Herb Rodriguez <Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu> > Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu > Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:02:02 -0600 > To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu > Subject: Re: on vibrato > > > Hi Tim, > > Please, help me to see how I'm missing the forest? Herb > > At 08/21/2003 01:52 PM, you wrote: >> if were not careful, well miss the forest for the trees....... >> >> -- >> >> Tim Cassler >> Toolbox Studios, Inc. >> 454 Soledad, Suite 100 >> San Antonio, TX 78205 >> >> 210.225.8269 x111 >> fax.225.8200 >> > From: Herb Rodriguez <Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu> > Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu > Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:29:36 -0600 > To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu > Subject: Re: on vibrato > > > At 08/20/2003 10:45 AM, you wrote: >> > "Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the masters. Seek what they >> sought." > > Great quote, Herb! Now, how does that translate into particulars, in our yuri > discussion, for example? That's always the hard part, isn't it? > > Peter > > To yuri, or not to yuri, that is the question: > Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer > The slings and arrows of outrageous censure ; > Or to take bamboo against a sea of troubles, > And by satori, end them: > > Peter, > > As always, everyone will come to their own understanding/interpretation of a > quote like this. Nelson gave his understanding of it and arrived at a > conclusion I never would have thought of. > > The way I understood it was a little more mundane. > > 1- Are you deciding to do yuri or not do yuri simply because your teacher told > you so and you are an unquestioning obedient student? > > 2- Are you a historian or archivist who wants to preserve how to play the > piece *exactly* the was you were taught by your teacher, the way it was passed > on to him or her and therefore you want to pass it on exactly that same way as > well? > > 3- Do you want to use the teacher's suggestions as a guide to get you started, > perfecting it yes, but as you practice you seek your own understanding of the > *essence* of the piece? Do you want to find a deeper understanding, going > deeper and deeper until the essence of the pieces expresses itself through you > to the point where you understand from deep within when yuri (or any > technique) is appropriate to use or not to use to express this essence? Do you > want to go deep enough that you can express the essence of the piece in such a > way that it will come out whether or not you use yuri, either way will still > express the essence, albeit with different shadings? > > There is nothing wrong with the first two examples I give. They each have > their own level of importance. They each have their own level of ease and > difficulty. > > The third way is simply different, sometimes harder, maybe more lonely, more > challenging, more boring. Maybe requiring more courage in the fact that you > are exploring "the undiscovered country", or maybe going against the grain of > the "historians". Yet, isn't that what we look for in our brilliant musicians > and spiritual teachers, ie, their unique expression of the *universal* from > their own deep exploration that touches and resonates with us and reminds us > of our connection with the universal? Isn't that what we admire and try to > emulate? Isn't that why we play shakuhachi (or any music) or meditate: > "to seek what they sought" ; to find our connection with the universal or the > divine? > > --------- > If I may make a brief comment on what Nelson wrote: > > "But let me introduce a little different slant. Maybe what the master sought > is of little interest to me, maybe it's beyond my particular capabilities, and > why should I pattern my life on the master's needs anyway? So maybe I should > seek not what the master sought but, instead, what I need. I can emulate the > master's perseverance and dedication without using the master's particular > goals. I don't have much idea what the master sought (why should I care?) but > I have some sense of what I'm after." > -------------- > Nelson, > > There is a school of thought that says ultimately, we all have the same needs, > eg returning to our connection to the "divine", or "universal experience", or > "the experience of Universal unconditional Love", however you want to define > it. On the surface, needs may seem different. But if you go deep enough, > really deep, and ignore "labels", what the master "needs" and sought is > essentially the same as what you think you "need" and seek. "A rose by any > other name..." > > So yes, "...emulate the master's perseverance and dedication..." for your own > goals. Maybe you'll discover you reached the same place? > > Just a thought. > > Herb > > >

--B_3144323917_1754426

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: on vibrato</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">I did not say that you were missing the forest.<BR> <BR> -- <BR> <BR> Tim Cassler<BR> Toolbox Studios, Inc.<BR> 454 Soledad, Suite 100<BR> San Antonio, TX 78205<BR> <BR> 210.225.8269 x111<BR> fax.225.8200<BR> </FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR> <B>From: </B>Herb Rodriguez &lt;Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu&gt;<BR> <B>Reply-To: </B>Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR> <B>Date: </B>Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:02:02 -0600<BR> <B>To: </B>Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR> <B>Subject: </B>Re: on vibrato<BR> <BR> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR> </FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hi Tim,<BR> <BR> Please, help me to see how I'm missing the forest? Herb<BR> <BR> At 08/21/2003 01:52 PM, you wrote:<BR> </FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">if were not careful, well miss the = forest for the trees.......<BR> <BR> -- <BR> <BR> Tim Cassler<BR> Toolbox Studios, Inc.<BR> 454 Soledad, Suite 100<BR> San Antonio, TX 78205<BR> <BR> 210.225.8269 x111<BR> fax.225.8200<BR> <BR> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">From: Herb Rodriguez &lt;Herb.Rodr= iguez@Colorado.edu&gt;<BR> Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:29:36 -0600<BR> To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<BR> Subject: Re: on vibrato<BR> <BR> <BR> At 08/20/2003 10:45 AM, you wrote:<BR> &gt; &quot;Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the masters. Seek what th= ey sought.&quot;<BR> <BR> Great quote, Herb! Now, how does that translate into particulars, in our yu= ri discussion, for example? That's always the hard part, isn't it?<BR> <BR> Peter<BR> <BR> To yuri, or not to yuri, that is the question:<BR> Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer<BR> The slings and arrows of outrageous censure ;<BR> Or to take bamboo against a sea of troubles,<BR> And by satori, end them: <BR> <BR> Peter,<BR> <BR> As always, everyone will come to their own understanding/interpretation of = a quote like this. Nelson gave his understanding of it and arrived at a conc= lusion I never would have thought of.<BR> <BR> The way I understood it was a little more mundane. <BR> <BR> 1- Are you deciding to do yuri or not do yuri simply because your teacher t= old you so and you are an unquestioning obedient student?<BR> <BR> 2- Are you a historian or archivist who wants to preserve how to play the p= iece *exactly* the was you were taught by your teacher, the way it was passe= d on to him or her and therefore you want to pass it on exactly that same wa= y as well?<BR> <BR> 3- Do you want to use the teacher's suggestions as a guide to get you start= ed, perfecting it yes, but as you practice you seek your own understanding o= f the *essence* of the piece? Do you want to find a deeper understanding, go= ing deeper and deeper until the essence of the pieces expresses itself throu= gh you to the point where you understand from deep within when yuri (or any = technique) is appropriate to use or not to use to express this essence? Do y= ou want to go deep enough that you can express the essence of the piece in s= uch a way that it will come out whether or not you use yuri, either way will= still express the essence, albeit with different shadings?<BR> <BR> There is nothing wrong with the first two examples I give. They each have t= heir own level of importance. They each have their own level of ease and dif= ficulty.<BR> <BR> The third way is simply different, sometimes harder, maybe more lonely, mor= e challenging, more boring. Maybe requiring more courage in the fact that yo= u are exploring &quot;the undiscovered country&quot;, or maybe going against= the grain of the &quot;historians&quot;. Yet, isn't that what we look for i= n our brilliant musicians and spiritual teachers, ie, their unique expressio= n of the *universal* from their own deep exploration that touches and resona= tes with us and reminds us of our connection with the universal? Isn't that = what we admire and try to emulate? Isn't that why we play shakuhachi (or any= music) or meditate: <BR> &quot;to seek what they sought&quot; ; to find our connection with the univ= ersal or the divine?<BR> <BR> ---------<BR> If I may make a brief comment on what Nelson wrote:<BR> <BR> &quot;But let me introduce a little different slant. Maybe what the master = sought is of little interest to me, maybe it's beyond my particular capabili= ties, and why should I pattern my life on the master's needs anyway? So mayb= e I should seek not what the master sought but, instead, what I need. I can = emulate the master's perseverance and dedication without using the master's = particular goals. &nbsp;I don't have much idea what the master sought (why s= hould I care?) but I have some sense of what I'm after.&quot;<BR> --------------<BR> Nelson,<BR> <BR> There is a school of thought that says ultimately, we all have the same nee= ds, eg returning to our connection to the &quot;divine&quot;, or &quot;unive= rsal experience&quot;, or &quot;the experience of Universal unconditional Lo= ve&quot;, however you want to define it. On the surface, needs may seem diff= erent. But if you go deep enough, really deep, and ignore &quot;labels&quot;= , what the master &quot;needs&quot; and sought is essentially the same as wh= at you think you &quot;need&quot; and seek. &quot;A rose by any other name..= .&quot;<BR> <BR> So yes, &quot;...emulate the master's perseverance and dedication...&quot; = for your own goals. Maybe you'll discover you reached the same place? <BR> <BR> Just a thought.<BR> <BR> Herb <BR> <BR> <BR> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR> </FONT> </BODY> </HTML>

--B_3144323917_1754426--