Re: on vibrato

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:17:17 PDT

Bill,

> One could play a piece without vibrato until
> they truly understand why it is preferable to play it that way. And
> then play it with vibrato until they truly understand why it is
> preferable to play it that way. This would include no personal
> opinion, just experience and the joy of adding scope to life.

I agree. I've always been curious about the process of learning from a
master as it's usually generalized and idealized in the Eastern tradition.
The master says don't play vibrato (or do play vibrato, doesn't really
matter), but can the master demonstrate and/or convey why? Eastern teaching
seems to rely a little more on intuition and a little less on explanation.
So we end up with a teaching system that's based more on authority than
anything else. Maybe what I'm talking about is the efficiency of teaching
styles as they apply to different cultures.

Personally, I like your idea of learning something both (all?) ways. But the
personal, explorative style of learning isn't what's emphasized in the
master/disciple relationship.

Nelson