Re: On tradition

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:22:11 PDT

--- Nelson Zink <zink@newmex.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > I choose to respect that tradition as it's been handed
> > down to me.
>
> Then why the question in the first place?
>
> For a decade your teachers have all universally told you not to
> vibrato, so
> why bring it up?

So much for my keeping quiet...read my first post on the subject,
Nelson. I didn't ask a question about using vibrato in honkyoku, I
expressed my opinion on doing so. Or rather, not doing so, because....

 If after a decade you don't know from your own
> experience
> your question naturally turns into one about authority rather than
> music.
> Riley tried to tell you that.

Makes it sound like, not only am I not clear on what I'm saying
(whereas by implication you and Riley are), but that I can't comprehend
others' earnest efforts to set me straight. I beg to differ with you
there.

PH