Re: and...

From: Sandra and Al Ramos (ramos@telus.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 02:53:03 PDT

Karl Signell wrote:

> At 10:49 PM 8/19/03 -0700, Peter H wrote:
> >I have actually wondered who Watazumido Shuso learned from--Riley,
> >would you care to share a bit of that history?
>
> Uramoto, but "not acknowledged by Watazumi." Riley compares in detail the
> differences and similarities between performances of "Reibo" by Uramoto and
> Watazumi.
>
> Lee, Riley. *Yearning for the Bell...*, "Analysis of the Uramoto-Watazumi
> transmission":
> http://wwwlib.umi.com/dxweb/details?doc_no=2892498
>
> Karl

Some bits of information I picked up about Watazumi-doso and his
teachers which is all hearsay:

Before Watazumi-do was named Watazumi-do, his name was Tanaka Masaru.
When he was twenty years old, he studied from a man named Nakamura
Kikufu who studied with Sakurai Muteki, who studied with Okamoto
Chikugai. From what I heard he studied with many teachers so it's
possible he studied with all of these men as well.

Also heard he studied with Higuchi Taizan (35th Kansu of the Meian
Line), who studied with Miyagawa Nyozan, who studied with Tani Kyochiku.

I assume at one point in his life he was playing ji-ari flutes, but
somewhere along the line, he threw that all away and played only
hocchiku afterwards.

Al