Re: On tradition

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 11:12:01 PDT

--- "I.M. BULB" <imbulb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Reading these emails are rather strange to me. because
> I can hear Peter playing in the room next to mine.
> Honestly, I wish my yuri sounded even 1/3 as good as
> his. :)

It's true, but I was playing Shinkyoku, I swear ;-).

On reflection, my comment about Western players' attitude towards
learning was a bit harsh, perhaps. I know that most players approach
shakuhachi with a a great deal of respect, but I do feel that we could
benefit from a, shall we say less skeptical, or more unquestioning
attitude towards the tradition when it disagrees with our gut instincts
or with what we think is best. To paraphrase Mark Twain (don't know the
exact words): "My father was such an idiot when I was 14 that it was
amazing how much smarter he'd gotten up by the time I turned 21."

PH