Re: About the "teddybear virus": I am sorry: Itīs a hoax ..

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 08:10:00 PDT

At 02:49 PM 8/23/03 +0200, Kees Kort wrote:

>this is some kind of sick joke, ( a hoax) and that it is going around for
>years already.

Although Kees meant well, he's now feeling terrible about his false
alarm. But this is a good lesson to all who are not professionals in
Internet matters. Leave the warnings to people who specialize in Internet,
who know which are harmless/harmful hoaxes, and what action to take, if
any. It's a perfectly human reaction to want to warn our friends about an
imminent danger. Don't do it. Leave it to the pros.

Much of the chaff and misinformation cluttering up email, network news, and
print publications is almost as bad as the viruses, worms, and Trojan
horses themselves.

Always keep your virus protection on, virus definitions automatically
updated, and your Windows updates current. A firewall also helps.

Karl