Re: mastery and improvisation

From: eurydice (eurydice@cruzio.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 09:41:01 PDT

I improvise all the time. I find that it helps me achieve mastery of all
the microtones and inbetween notes. Whenever I feel my practice getting too
rigid, I listen to a little Charles Lloyd (highly recommended) or
mid-sixties Coltrane, or even the sound of a tumbling mountain stream...
In the meantime, I have a new tune that I have been trying to master on the
Shakuhachi: Dylan's version of "Mr. Tambourine Man." Try those harmonica
solos on your flute, they'll really bend and strengthen your technique.