Re: Nagasawa Katsutoshi

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 16:13:23 PDT

Hi Isaac,

The premiere orchestra of traditional Japanese Musical Instruments which
plays mostly modern music is called NIHON ONGAKU SHUDAN. It has also been
known as ENSEMBLE NIPPONIA. It has released many , many recordings and
almost exclusively used (still uses ? ) the music of Miki Minoru and
Nagasawa Katsutoshi over the past 4 decades.

I had the privilege of tour managing/stage managing this group on two
occasions 20 to 30 years ago (under the auspices of the Asia Society of New
York). I also had the great thrill of studying some (while on the road) with
Miyata Kohachiro.

By the way, this organization has a great track record of being a training
ground for some of Japan's top Shakuhachi players (as well as the top
players of Shamisen, Koto, Taiko, Biwa, etc.). In addition to the fore
mentioned Mitsuhashi Kifu (who became a dear friend of mine and has
performed with me in Tokyo, Okinawa, as well as NYC), and Miyata Kohachiro,
some of the other great Shakuhachi players who came out of this group are:
Yokoyama Katsuya, Koga Masayuki, Sakata Seizan and many more whose names I
have forgotten !

Ronnie