From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 05:43:00 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37008.EC7BC710
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Mark,
I suppose that if you began playing, say, Shin Kyo Rei and somewhere in =
the midst of it you began an improvisation that was deeply inspirational =
and meaningful for you, you wouldn't be playing Shin Kyo Rei anymore, =
but something of your own design based on what you thought Shin Kyo Rei =
might be. Would that speak of the essence of the piece as it was =
perceived and intended by its originator? Does it matter? Again, it =
depends on your intention. As for the question: 'is improvisation okay =
within the honkyoku tradition?' , the answer at first would probably be =
a quick 'no'. But that 'no' is based on the idea that realization of =
the universal within the spiritual practice of honkyoku is something =
that comes after a great deal of jostling of your patterns of awareness =
(as has been found to be the case by our predecessors) while ecstatic =
glimpses are just encouragements and not attainments. Which begs =
another question: does your improvisation come with any sustained =
change in your consciousness? I believe the original purpose in the =
spiritual practice of honkyoku was to achieve a sustained consciousness =
shift. What I was trying to say in my first writing was that as history =
has brought us to the point we are, it takes a great deal of embodying =
of a piece (read: mindful practice) in order to remove the finish and =
reveal the grain.=20
Seen in another light, if you were chanting the heart sutra and in the =
middle of it began including words that seemed to sound like the words =
in the heart sutra, though with variation, would you be chanting the =
heart sutra anymore? Well, if your intention were to consistently chant =
the heart sutra, then you would have missed your mark.

jeff cairns
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37008.EC7BC710
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suppose that if you began playing, =
say, Shin Kyo=20
Rei and somewhere in the midst of it you began an improvisation that was =
deeply=20
inspirational and meaningful for you,&nbsp; you wouldn't be playing Shin =
Kyo Rei=20
anymore, but something of your own design based on what you thought Shin =
Kyo Rei=20
might be.&nbsp; Would that speak of the essence of the piece as it was =
perceived=20
and intended by its originator?&nbsp; Does it matter?&nbsp;&nbsp; Again, =
it=20
depends on your intention.&nbsp; As for the question: 'is improvisation =
okay=20
within the honkyoku tradition?'&nbsp;, the answer at first would =
probably be a=20
quick 'no'.&nbsp; But that 'no' is based on the idea that realization of =
the=20
universal within the spiritual practice of honkyoku is something that =
comes=20
after a great deal of jostling of your patterns of awareness =
(as&nbsp;has been=20
found to be the case by our predecessors)&nbsp;&nbsp;while ecstatic =
glimpses are=20
just encouragements and not attainments.&nbsp; =
Which&nbsp;begs&nbsp;another=20
question:&nbsp; does your improvisation come with any sustained change =
in=20
your&nbsp;consciousness?&nbsp; I believe the original purpose in the =
spiritual=20
practice of honkyoku was to achieve a sustained consciousness =
shift.&nbsp;=20
</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What I was trying to say in my first =
writing was=20
that as history has brought us to the point we are, it takes a great =
deal of=20
embodying of a piece (read:&nbsp;mindful practice) in order =
to&nbsp;remove the=20
finish and reveal the grain.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Seen in another light, if you were =
chanting the=20
heart sutra and in the middle of it began including words that seemed to =
sound=20
like the words in the heart sutra, though with variation, would you be =
chanting=20
the heart sutra anymore?&nbsp; Well, if your intention&nbsp;were to =
consistently=20
chant the heart sutra, then you would have missed your =
mark.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>jeff cairns</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37008.EC7BC710--