Re: shakuhachi V1 #399

From: I.M. BULB (imbulb@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 12:16:51 PDT

> Jeff, I like your phrase, "it takes a great deal of
> embodying of a piece (read:=20
> mindful practice) in order to remove the finish and
> reveal the grain." Nice.=20

This is a great phrase.. Not too metaphysical and easy
to understand. Thanks for sharing that, Jeff. :)

> but I also wonder if some of the Fuk=E9 and
> lay shakuhachi players=20
> experienced their moments of ecstasy and their
> consciousness shifts within the=20
> greater context of both their Japanese culture and
> their Buddhist practice.

I have questioned this concept for many years now.=20
And with the greater understanding I have acquired of
Watazumi Do and his background, can't help but feel
this playes a bigger role. I sometimes wonder how
many shakuhachi players outside of Japan, engage in
buddhist pratice?

Cheers,
Isaac=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D