Re: beginners practice

From: Brian Ritchie (nemo2000@att.net)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 21:02:00 PDT

> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:16:04 -0700
> From: Mark Millonas <millonas@email.arc.nasa.gov>
> To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
> Subject: beginners practice
>
> Hello all:
>
> I'm learning the shakuhachi, on my own for now. I've just stared over
> the
> last few months. Can anyone give me some good advice on how to
> practice at
> my (beginner's) level.
> I don't want my efforts to dissipate into random blowing -I actually
> would
> like to get better. Are there good
> ways to improve my tone, etc.
>
> Marko

Hi Marko,

It's not easy to learn this instrument on your own. Eventually you will
have to find a teacher, the sooner the better. If there is anyone in
your area you should definitely search them out.

In the meantime you will need to get an instruction book which comes
with a CD. It's important to have the CD so you will have a reference
to try to match for pitch and phrasing. That is assuming that your
shakuhachi is a conventional 1.8 length instrument and in tune. One of
the main benefits of studying with a teacher is that presumably he is
playing relatively in tune and the beginning student should try to
match the teachers pitch. Beginners have a tendency to play very flat
because of weak breath and holding the instrument inefficiently.

http://shakuhachi.com/ is a good website for obtaining these
materials. Takashi Tokuyama and Barry Weiss have a new method book and
accompanying CD. I haven't seen it yet, but since Tokuyama's playing is
very simple and straightforward it might be suitable for beginners.
There are other methods to choose from there as well. All of them have
something to recommend them.

Another good resource is James Nyoraku Schlefer's book of technical
exercises which is also available at http://shakuhachi.com/. It has an
accompanying CD and if you practice the exercises along with the CD it
might help you to develop some technique so that when you finally get
together with a teacher you can start to learn music without struggling
too much just trying to make a sound and play in tune.

Many shakuhachi teachers recommend blowing otsu ro (low octave all
holes closed) for at least ten minutes a day, which helps to develop
your playing in many different ways, not all of which can be explained
logically. Good posture is very important, otherwise it's impossible to
make a powerful sound. And don't use any vibrato until you start to
study with a teacher because shakuhachi vibrato is very specialized and
whatever you come up with on your own will almost certainly be
undesirable. Even if you want to experiment with vibrato make sure it
doesn't become a habit that you can't turn off at will.

Good luck with your practice.

Regards,

Brian