Re: acoustic impedances; what makes a good instrument

From: I.M. BULB (imbulb@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 16:03:37 PDT

Dear Nelson and Mark,

I admire this conversation to great length. I have
been making transverse bamboo flutes for nearly 10
years and I can only speak from my experience.

I honestly wonder if math belongs in flute making (esp
the shakuhachi)- Prior to making, I read a book by
theobald Bohem on transverse flute making and a book
by Lew Paxton Price. Needless to say, they were
useless. And lew Paxton Price played it from a very
scientific standpoint with I though was amuzing for a
moment ( Being a software engineere).

I made 7 flutes in the same key using his "Science"
and ( Believe it or not) the flutes all sounded the
same. They had no personality whatsoever. Which is
odd considering each piece of bamboo is diffrent.

I broke down and begged to study with Romy Benton who,
in my opinion, makes the absolute best sounding bamboo
flutes ever. But, the real hum-dinger was learning
that Romy Benton used no math to place the holes or
find the right lengths. It was almost like he could
feel what keys the bamboo should be in. Wathching him
make a flute is a rather surreal experience. This blew
me away as a 19 yo engineere.

So, with that in mind, I have come up with a few
questions for you two, if not, all to ponder.

1) What good practicing shakuhachi player wants an
   instrument that is 'Perfectly' made?

2) Who would like to own a shakuhachi that was made
   using math and sciences, extensivly? Considering
the
   instrument did not originate from either.

3) How many shakuhachi players in Japan will take a
   maker seriously who is capable of making a
   shakuhachi for multiple players or Ryu?

4) How many serious shakuhachi players own an
   instrument that uses those 'exact sciences'
   mentioned earlier?

5) Is a shakuhachi that is made using exact sciences,
   considered a 'shakuhachi'?

Serious dilemma, guys. I ponder these questions all
to frequently.

Cheers,
Isaac

=====