Re: acoustic impedances; what makes a good instrument

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 16:45:28 PDT

Interesting post. I responded to Mark off list with some geeky thoughts
about studying shakuhachi acoustics and I've always enjoyed Nelson's
comments. I think the shakuhachi presents a set of interesting physics
"problems", precisisely because of the "idiosyncracies" but I also think
the points here are well taken about what is actually useful and
interesting to players. Though I wouldn't suspect the situation to be
quite as extreme with guitarts (e.g. different production techniques for
different schools) I'm reminded of a friend who's a great jazz player
once talking about how much he loved the dead spot on his favorite
guitar; working around it helped to give his playing a certain flavor
that he really liked when he played that guitar.

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab