Re: acoustic impedances; what makes a good instrument

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 17:40:46 PDT

>Yep, math is hard on the mystery. I'll take it off list.

I'm not so sure that math is that hard on the mystery. Approaching
things from a scientific standpoint can be rewarding, useful, and fun
but it can also come up short sometimes (maybe temporarily, maybe not; I
didn't want to open that can of worms). In those cases people often have
heuristics that serve them well. That only seems to be a problem if
people treat heuristics as either divne knowledge or mere superstition.
Ok, I'll shut up and let somebody kick me off the soapbox...

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab