Re: acoustic impedances; what makes a good instrument

From: I.M. BULB (imbulb@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 17:45:51 PDT

I guess my point in asking those questions was to say
that weather or not we are talking
math/physics/psyco-geography or whatever, The
shakuhachi is a cultural instrument and in a sense
changes when we implement these modern physics or
whatever.

> All of the question you bring up are legitimate, but
> as they are
> not *scientific questions*, and I don't have the
> cultural
> background to answer what are essentially cultural
> questions
> I cannot answer them.

Interesting. The shakuhachi is a cultural
instrument.. Not a scientific one. Im curious as to
why you are into making the shakuhachi 'from a
scientific' standpoint if you have no cultural
background or understanding of it. ( maybe im wrong
and you do.) But if so, Im merely asking you this
because im piqued.

> As far as these pamphlets by price, don't worry if
> they didn't help.
> I can tell you that they are almost worthless, and
> that both
> in style and content that would rank extremely low,
> scientifically speaking.

I didnt know there were pamphlets he wrote but what I
read years ago was a paperback he wrote with about
1000 pages and I disagree, he was prety in-depth about
wind travel in both transverse and end-blown flutes
among other things. His explanations were long and
drawn-out. He wrote out some prety good theories too.

Anyways, Im afraid science and physics can't fully
solve the shakuhachi. Its perfect the way it is, I
think.

Cheers,
Isaac

=====