Re: The Perfect Bore

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 10:39:06 PDT

Bruce,

> Okay, how? This is not a rhetorical or flippant question. I've
> played Peter's Gesshu many times and would be interested in owning
> a copy, however created, if it played anywhere near the original.

The flute would be cold molded in silicone rubber, somewhere around 25-30
durometer. This would depend a little bit on the degree of bore flare after
the choke point. Then cast with polyurethane--maybe something in the 1500
series. It should be pressure cast--somewhere around 100 psi. Colorant can
be most anything, but iron oxides should work pretty well--some mixture of
ochre and umber should approximate bamboo color. I don't know what the
colorant is for red lacquer, surely people aren't still using cinnabar
(which is a mercury based compound).

Nelson

List subscription information is at: