Re: The Perfect Bore

From: Mark Millonas (millonas@email.arc.nasa.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 10:03:45 PDT

Hi all:

I'm basically an ignoramus about such things, but I just wanted to
re-iterate that I
(and I don't think Nelson) never said we were looking for a "perfect" bore,
or that the word "perfect" even had any meeting in the present context.

As for the idea that any shakuhachi produced "using numbers" will not sound
as good
as one made by a master, you may be right, but such a thing has never been
tried yet,
so this is just an opinion. Frankly I would love to find out that my first
(and second,and third...) effort at figuring the bore out
didn't compare, because that would mean there was a fun mystery to
explore. The more subtile
the more fun. I like to be surprised and to surprise other people by what
I find out.

Marko

At 10:37 AM 9/18/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
> > I agree that Isaac's question was perhaps not well-conceived, but why
> > the needlessly flippant answer?
>
>Because the question is so hopelessly rhetorical as to require a literal
>answer. That Isaac doesn't seek anything other than support for his position
>is what makes a literal answer stand out.
>
> > I really don't think a bunch of
> > numbers, no matter how thoroughly crunched, will make a flute that sounds
> > like my Gesshu 1.8.
>
>I'm curious as to why you hold such an opinion. Are you saying that you
>can't imagine it or that there is some fundamental reason it can't be done?
>Is you opinion based on something you know or don't know?
>
> > Perhaps
> > someone in the "science can do it" camp would like to take my Meiji-era 1.8
> > that has a sound to die for, and make me a perfect copy?
>
>This can be easily done at the present. Replicated down to a thousandth of
>an inch, both inside and out. The replica would be a little heavier as the
>material would be different. It would also be waterproof and in about any
>color you want. You could keep the cracks or not--up to you.
>
>In any event, I doubt whether any information or process will have
>noticeable impact on the manufacture of the shakuhachi. The idiosyncrasy of
>the whole affair is what attracts most people anyway. Players like to feel
>their personal instruments unique--which is reasonable, I suppose. If the
>instrument is unique, the same can be said of the player. If not? .....well.
>It's a simple proposition.
>
>Nelson
>

>List subscription information is at:
> http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html