Re: The Perfect Bore

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 02:29:42 PDT

I don't see any blasphemy in scientific analysis, replication, and
design experimentation and think discussion of such should remain on
list.

How do you think the original instrument makers (I'm referring to any
instrument here) came up with their soundtoys to begin with? Trial and
error, with a lot of careful analysis in between...or should we say "the
*empirical* scientific method"?

As to replication I think there are some other possible methods, such as
non-invasive scanning to create high resolution 3D CAD models
(ultrasound etc) . This sort of technique is used in areas such as the
aircraft industry for non-destructive testing of airframe and parts
checking if I'm not mistaken. You could possibly build a digital model
database of all sorts of s8's, tagged with subjective playing
characteristics. That would then give you a pretty solid knowledge base
to play around with, both for analysis and design experimentation.
Casting from these models would be possible via a whole range of
techniques and materiels tech. I'm sure the rocket scientists on the
list must have some friends in the biz who must know about all this.

Would it be a cost effective project in todays rabid commercial
environment? Probably not.
Would it replace the craft and beauty of hand made natural instruments?
No, and would not be intended to.

Still, it would cost a lot less than some of the other hugely expensive
and wasteful projects govt and industry and would at least have some
tangible cross-cultural and historical preservation benefits. I don't
think those older instruments are going to be around forever. Maybe
somebody could get money off their national arts bodies that is
currently splurged on contemporary artwank projects and put it to some
better use? (better have your claws sharpened for that battle!)

And in the final analysis I thought its how you play not what you play
that defines the player...no?

pc

List subscription information is at: