Re: The Perfect Bore

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 14:00:11 PDT

At 8:40 PM -0700 9/19/03, Peter H wrote:
>Has anyone noticed that sampled pianos etc sound great, but flutes and
>shakuhachis just don't cut it? Why do you think this is--the waveform
>is actually simpler, isn't it?

That's a question I've given a lot of thought to. I believe that the
technology that supports sampled sound is keyboard centric. The MIDI
standard, for example, records when and how hard a note is struck,
which is what matters on a piano, but a good flute player can control
the shape of a note for its entire life. Sometimes you start loud and
get softer and sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes you
want to add a burst of muraiki at the beginning, middle or end.
Sometimes you modulate the pitch, just a little, in the middle of the
note to emphasize the beat. It's hard to imagine a device that can
record all those nuances, other than the flute itself.

James