Re: Enuf is enuf

From: Mark Millonas (millonas@email.arc.nasa.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 13:38:53 PDT

>In short, knock it off.

I'd like to double-dog-ditto that one!!

For those that are interested specifically in the physics of the shakuhachi
I would like to
say that I copied quite a few journal articles last Friday (NASA has a
pretty good representation
of acoustics journals) and there are a lot of things we could talk about
either off-line, or if we could
create a place where we could all discuss these things. I'm not sure how
to do that, but I'm
sure some of you might know. I found too many interesting things to try to
mention here, but I did
find, for example, some theoretical calculations of acoustic impedances
with comparisons to the actual instruments.
These were for various woodwinds. I only mention this because it came up
in some of the postings.

By the way, I would *not* expect or even want that everyone participating
in the discussion be
mathematically trained. There is such as thing as inter-disciplinary
communication. I certainly
don't know much at all about playing the shakuhachi (in fact I had my first
real lesson today) and
could use the input, and in turn I (and many of the others) might be able
to help translate the more abstruse
things into normal language.

In the sciences
there is such a thing as a "journal club" where a group of mutually
interested people get together one a week
or so and discuss a paper of interest (though often the discussion goes far
afield). I think a "virtual" discussion
something like that would be interesting, if someone knows how to set it up.

Marko