Re: IBUSHI "SMOKED" BAMBOO

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 22:20:00 PDT

Gene, at the risk of being once-again too outspoken for my own
political good, I would avoid smoked bamboo unless you like the smoky
smell. Originally, smoked bamboo was prized because it was bamboo that
had been saturated with smoke over many years by being hung over the
hearth--this apparently improved the tonal characteristics. Modern
smoked bamboo has only been smoked on the surface and perhaps a bit
into the bamboo, so it's about the same sound-wise and it does have, to
my nose, an offensive smell.
For Gene or any others interested I know of someone here with a large
stock of madake at around $100 a piece, but that doesn't include
shipping.

Peter