RE: 2 many mailing lists?

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 02:08:47 PDT

>>I hope the other list becomes redundant as well.

Just to clarify...I'm not trying to split anything here.

I set up the yahoo group in response to some requests on the list
because:
 it's free (with the small annoyance of crap ads) and
 it's simple and
 it took a couple of minutes.

I'd be more than happy to shut it down if people so request (but then
someone else could just start one up as Bruce did).

As people have noted it doesn't really solve the "problem" and it would
be better all round, imho, if dicsussion of the shak issues stayed
centralised. Everbody is time poor nowdays and checking multiple sites
can be a hassle.

I think the "problem" is one of functionality. As has been demonstrated
different people have different info requirements and argument
thresholds (personally I find them quite entertaining!)
Despite a mailing lists simplicity the technology for threaded
discussions/lists has come a long way.
While you can skim a long digest it's still not as efficient as
subscribing to a specific forum thread or just checking the categories
online that you are interested in.

Have you considered upgrading the shakuhachi mailing list back end?

There are a number of excellent free forum software packages.
http://www.pd9soft.com/ and http://phpnuke.org/ are two that spring to
mind.

A quick check of your growth:
1997 110 messages
1998 120 messages
1999 195 messages
2000 207 messages
2001 508 messages
2002 1065 messages
2003 current 605 messages

Obviously there are hosting issues, management issues etc but who knows,
throw the word out and see what happens!

Spirituality, performance(s), playing technique, learning, design
issues, materials, acoustics of the shakuhachi...all that in a stick
with 5 holes in it...WOW!

As to why I called it ShakuhachiDesign (ref: James Jennings message) I
described it as a "discussion on R&D into shakuhachi design".
I would anticipate at some point that a discussion of the physics and
acoustics would at some point touch upon other related areas such as
materials technology, physical modeling etc. Mea culpa.

And in response to IieoOoeiI@aol.com "Bill vs the machine" conversation
I'll quote from Craig Fischer (a guru on woodwind bore design and
acoustics) from some uni notes I distributed to a few people (feel free
to email me for a copy if you wish) that seems like it nails the old
science/art debate for me:

"Solutions of the wave-equations which describe coupled resonating
systems with non-linear boundary conditions are
amongst some of the hardest problems in applied physics. Many of them
are not (yet) directly solvable and can only
be approximated. Nonetheless our human perceptions are capable of
'solving' them implicitly and savouring their
richness."

That's why we have aesthetics to polish the engineers work:
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/Emotion-and-design.html

Finally...thank you for hosting such a stimulating list.