Reflections on this list's purpose(s)

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 09:18:39 PDT

I'd like to respond to that go-round of messages that so recently
shook the list.

First, I think it's time to lay out some rules of engagement. This
is the shakuhachi list and, given that the shakuhachi is historically
an instrument of zen and enlightenment, I'd like folks to act like
they have already achieved enlightenment. Not that most of us
actually *will* (or even intend to) achieve that goal, but we all
have some sense of what it means and can at least strive to act in
manner that befits enlightened people.

Off-list, someone mentioned that,

   "I would feel safer on a shakuhachi list that includes only
   those on a spiritual path that has an ethical foundation,
   thereby making it more likely that the members would be
   interested in mutual understanding, mutual support, deep
   listening, etc."

While I don't think we need to exclude those who are not necessarily
on the same spiritual path, or even those who are not seeking a
spiritual path, I do think we can all conduct ourselves in a manner
that evinces the shared goals of mutual understanding and support,
deep listening, kindness, and empathy.[1] After all, there are
precious few shakuhachi players in the west and we all share some
goals. Let us focus on the shared goals and not on our political
differences.

Second, I intend to keep running this list as THE place for all
shakuhachi related discussion and I hope those who are looking for
an environment where they can discuss the spirituality of the
shakuhachi will continue to do so here.[2]

Third, some comments on recent postings:

>: Mark Millonas <millonas@email.arc.nasa.gov>
>
>I guess some of us were hoping to have a "journal" club type thing
>where we try to have fun discussing actual, well defined, acoustical
>problems in a "culture-free zone".

While the philosopher of science in me questions the possibility of a
"culture-free zone", I realize (as do most, I suspect) what you're
driving at. And I think it's a good idea; to whit, a private
discussion space for a specific topic (however that might branch out
later is not defined herein).

>I have no problem with the new list having a finite life span. I'm
>sure it will.

All discussion lists, group, topics have a life of their own. Let
it run as long as it will.

>From: James Jennings <jennings@megaseattle.com>
>
>Except they called it "ShakuhachiDesign", which is not my distinction
>either. (Not to mention the fact that I'd prefer to avoid Yahoo
>Groups if possible.)

While I have removed the list I put up, I'd happily put it back
online if the general consensus among the folks on the "discussion
of acoustic problems" list would like to avoid the entanglements of
using yahoo's list managers (read "increased amounts of spam in your
inbox").

I'd even archive the message traffic online like I do the shakuhachi
list.

>While I agree that it'd be a shame to divide the discussion because
>we have trouble getting along, there's no shame in dividing the
>discussion according to our interests. The scientists will still be
>on the original list after all.

True. Thank you.

bj

-------------------------------

[1] In the early 1980s, when Usenet (the newsgroups network) was
young, Gene Spafford wrote some rules for responding to articles on
the net. Usenet was famous for flame wars (it's where the term
originated) and Gene's cautions were simple:

1. If at all possible, wait a day before responding to an offensive
article. Draft your reply as soon as you like, but edit it and send
it later.

2. If #1 is not possible, at least make a visit to the toilet before
sending the response.

[2] Personally I don't know how to separate the spirituality of
things from their physical incarnations. I don't believe in ghosts
and have no particular use for Organized Religion of any sort. If
there is such a thing as spirit it can only exist in beings -
sentient and otherwise, (and for the animists among us) and in
other objects.