RE: Reflections on this list's purpose(s)

From: Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 10:57:19 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Jones [mailto:bjones@weber.ucsd.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 9:19 AM
To: shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
Subject: Reflections on this list's purpose(s)

I'd like to respond to that go-round of messages that so recently
shook the list.

First, I think it's time to lay out some rules of engagement.

and so forth...

Thanks for the clarification and edification....

Your posting set me out to thinking and brought up several issues that have
been at the back of my mind for awhile...

This kind of mailing list using the medium of plaintext messaging lends
itself quite nicely to announcements, scientific discussions of flute
building, discursive discussions (is that redundant?) of Zen and so forth.
The medium is the message.

But I hunger for something more. Recordings of bits and pieces of shak music
played by the participants for example (examples of techniques and
styles)... even evocative pictures... I am wondering if there is a way we
could augment this list by an intelligent use of the broader bandwidth
multi-media capabilities of the modern Internet... skillful use of
techniques and means that would point me away from discursive mind and go to
the heart of the shakuhachi...

Just a thought...

Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Big Sky Ranch of Arizuma: http://bigskyranch.us <http://bigskyranch.us>
Pahana's Pithouse: http://pahana.us <http://pahana.us>
Solar Station: http://solarstation.us

"Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
and the skies are not cloudy all day..."