RE: Reflections on this list's purpose(s)

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 15:55:37 PDT

>From: "Brett Breitwieser" <brett@bigskyranch.us>
>
>Thanks for the clarification and edification....

You're welcome. I hope they help.

>But I hunger for something more. Recordings of bits and pieces of
>shak music played by the participants for example (examples of
>techniques and styles)... even evocative pictures... I am wondering
>if there is a way we could augment this list by an intelligent use
>of the broader bandwidth multi-media capabilities of the modern
>Internet... skillful use of techniques and means that would point
>me away from discursive mind and go to the heart of the shakuhachi...

One suggestion was made to use one of the PHP-driven BBS-style
discussion forum packages. These are not as immediate as email -
they require you to go to the discussion (via a website) rather
than having it come to you - but offer a few advantages, chief
among which is threading (messages sorted by topic). I use them
in classroom situations but don't care for them for more general
discussion. I already have enough to do without needing to remember
to go to the discussion site each day or so. Email is convenient.

Fortunately Brett's requests can be accomodated without resort to
replacing the email list with a more elaborate discussion mechanism.
I have lots of disk space on communication.ucsd.edu and am quite
happy to put up pages for whatever bits of things people would like
to see online. If there is enough content to make it worth while,
I would also be willing to put up one of the software packages that
make it possible for a group of people to create and add content
to a site.

Are there "recordings of bits and pieces of shak music played by
the participants" or "evocative pictures" that folks would like to
see in the archive?

Contributions welcome!

bj

-