Re: Lacquer?

From: abelard@australia.edu
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 09:54:39 PDT

>Gene.
   I,m a shak builder her in Oz, one of my shak forms has an appllied bore
coating , I use a bit of modern teck. My other hat is a cabinet/furniture
builder. The "wrong end" of the cabinet industry,(mdfb). (fibreboard) for
those not familiar with industry acronoms) has deveoed some superb
finishes for that stuff. In Oz a Co. called MIROTONE makes and markets 2
part poyurethane super hard finishes of a glass like manner. I've used
these
wiyh great success, just poured trough the bore( after taping shut the
finger
holes), I'm experimenting with a light post snding of the finish(320 no
fill
paper) ,rational: I have seen Racing Yachts lightly sanded before racing,
the sailing stratagists tell me it "wets" the hull surface, allowing for
less drag.
Maybe the zen airs could respond similarly.

    Regards Abelard.
>Thank you, Derek -
>
>And yes Mejiro's catalog, page 56, has all the instructions concerning >
first applying a thin layer of "seshime" lacquer, which comes in a tube, >
then the "Tonoko" layer (which I do not need for my transverse flutes),
>and
then their finish lacquer, which also comes in tubes, and has to be >first
thinned with "turpentine or gasoline," and run through Miyoshino >paper
filters and such.

>But I was hoping to simply locate red or black gloss brushing lacquer >
here in the States.

>Please let me know if you come up with any answers.
>
>Gene

regarding shipping restrictions, etc. The link is at >http://www.mejiro-
jp.com/eng/catalogenglishcontents.html

> I used Nitrate Dope on a test piece of bamboo and it does well to seal >
the wood, though I am not sure what the longevity of its moisture >
resistance will be; it's only been a few weeks. I have used it on >balsa,
and
it seems to hold up fairly well for a few years. I heard once >that the
Urushi
lacquer (and maybe others) are actually cured to a >greater hardness with
water/moisture... I, too, am just now beginning to >explore the lacquers
for
my own flutes, so I am very anxious to learn >more from the veterans on the

list, if possible. There is only so much >info on the web, and is often
glossed over.

> :)
>
> Derek

hopefully with red or black lacquer. But - out here in the boonies >where
live - I can't find lacquer anywhere!