RE: Lacquer?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 14:05:18 PDT

>From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Tue Sep 30 13:55:42 2003
>
>Assuming this can be easily colored, what method of coating would you
>advise?

Well, I've painted cars, houses, and by-the-numbers "paintings" but
not the inside of a tube. Someone else suggested taping off the
finger holes and pouring it down the bore. I suspect that, if the
stuff is really thin, and slow drying, you can do this quite nicely
(after protecting the ends of the bamboo). Low viscosity and slow
drying would mean that you could roll it around, get a good coating,
and wait for the excess to drain out of the tube without worrying
about drips or runs drying in the bore.

If you're looking for suggestions, the Mejiro website sells all
manner of shakuhachi making tools. Take a gander and see what kind
of stuff for painting the inside of shakuhachi they're selling to
the pros. Based on the tools, that should give you some idea of
how other folks are doing that task.

bj

-