RE: Lacquer?

From: edBeaty (edosan@boulder.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 15:37:48 PDT

Monty Levenson uses a black or red epoxy paint (don't know the source
or brand, but I suspect Monty would tell you...) to finish his cast
bore flutes (and very likely his ji-nashi flutes--John Neptune does
the same.

His little old pamphlet suggests plugging the holes with gauze,
taping them off and pouring the paint into the bore, sloshing it
around and then pouring it out.

BUT his current method, which I think is much better, is to fashion a
swab out of medium density foam, using a 1/8" dowel inserted/glued
into the swab as a handle. Dip the dowel into the finish and swab it
in. The trick is in getting the foam swab to the right size, so as
not to "wring it out" within the bore, getting paint squirting out
all over.

A bit of experimentation on some PVC, and you're home free.

He paints the inside of the holes with a brush...

This method gives much more control.

eB