Re: Lacquer?

From: Gene (oldmanriver@alltel.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 17:41:30 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01C38793.3A17DAD0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

> Monty Levenson uses a black or red epoxy paint (don't know the source=20
> or brand, but I suspect Monty would tell you...) to finish his cast=20
> bore flutes (and very likely his ji-nashi flutes--John Neptune does=20
> the same.=20

The universally highest considered Epoxy resins come from the Gougon =
Brothers, and they call their products The West System. And they have =
an almost endless number of coloring additives, including Chinese =
Crimson Red, which the maker adds to the resin himself. They are =
probably using Gougon's products. I would.

> BUT his current method, which I think is much better, is to fashion a=20
> swab out of medium density foam, using a 1/8" dowel inserted/glued=20
> into the swab as a handle. Dip the dowel into the finish and swab it=20
> in. The trick is in getting the foam swab to the right size, so as=20
> not to "wring it out" within the bore, getting paint squirting out=20
> all over.

This is not an argument, oh great and holy and Most Reverened One, but =
since I have been planning on pouring the lacquer into my bores, why do =
you feel the swabbing is superior, please?

I just sent you a copy of my email to Zink, just FYI. The huge =
instrument REALLY DID infinitely better than I even dreamed it might. I =
had a scrap piece of 1" id PVC, which just happened to be a little over =
933 mm in length. And, when I cut off some of the length to achieve the =
first even tone, it by chance was 933 mm and "F". And I scrounged =
around my shop and just happened to find a connector, so I VERY QUICKLY =
whipped out an utaguchi, used Zink's formulae - VOILA! - I've got a =
GREAT bass shakuhachi! Every note right on key.

Also had a complete break-through with my upper and lower octave =
problems and my TSU CHU MERI tone (I was holding the heel of the =
utaguchi too high up on my chin. I lowered it a hair, and it resolved =
both those problems!

By the way, how about emailing a picture of yourself to me. I like to =
know what my internet friends look like, and you already have pictures =
of me. Don't worry, I'm older, fatter and grayer than you can possibly =
be!
------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01C38793.3A17DAD0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>&gt; Monty Levenson uses a black or red epoxy paint (don't know the =
source=20
<BR>&gt; or brand, but I suspect Monty would tell you...) to finish his =
cast=20
<BR>&gt; bore flutes (and very likely his ji-nashi flutes--John Neptune =
does=20
<BR>&gt; the same.<FONT color=3D#0000ff>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>The universally highest considered Epoxy =
resins come=20
from the Gougon Brothers, and they call their products The West =
System.&nbsp;=20
And they have an almost endless number of coloring additives, including =
Chinese=20
Crimson Red, which the maker adds to the resin himself.&nbsp; They are =
probably=20
using Gougon's products.&nbsp; I would.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; BUT his current method, which I think is much better, is =
to=20
fashion a <BR>&gt; swab out of medium density foam, using a 1/8" dowel=20
inserted/glued <BR>&gt; into the swab as a handle. Dip the dowel into =
the finish=20
and swab it <BR>&gt; in. The trick is in getting the foam swab to the =
right=20
size, so as <BR>&gt; not to "wring it out" within the bore, getting =
paint=20
squirting out <BR>&gt; all over.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>This is not an argument, oh great and holy =
and Most=20
Reverened One, but since I have been planning on pouring the lacquer =
into my=20
bores, why do you feel the swabbing is superior, =
please?</FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>I just sent you a copy of my email to Zink, =
just=20
FYI.&nbsp; The huge instrument REALLY DID infinitely better than I even =
dreamed=20
it might.&nbsp; I&nbsp;had a scrap&nbsp;piece of 1" id PVC, which just =
happened=20
to be a little over 933 mm in length.&nbsp; And, when I cut off some of =
the=20
length to achieve the first even tone, it by chance was 933 mm and =
"F".&nbsp;=20
And I scrounged around my shop and just happened to find a connector, so =
I VERY=20
QUICKLY whipped out an utaguchi, used Zink's formulae - VOILA! - I've =
got a=20
GREAT bass shakuhachi!&nbsp; Every note right on key.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>Also had a complete break-through with my =
upper and=20
lower octave problems and my TSU CHU MERI tone (I was holding the heel =
of the=20
utaguchi too high up on my chin.&nbsp; I lowered it a hair, and it =
resolved both=20
those problems!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>By the way, how about emailing a picture of =
yourself to=20
me.&nbsp; I like to know what my internet friends look like, and you =
already=20
have pictures of me.&nbsp; Don't worry, I'm older, fatter and grayer =
than you=20
can possibly be!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01C38793.3A17DAD0--