Re: Staining shakuhachi root ends?

From: Philip Horan (philip_horan@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 13:28:37 PDT

<P>The utaguchi and root end are polished by mixing some bamboo dust with walnut oil. This is rubbed on with a cloth and provides a light polish.&nbsp;It also darkens the bamboo a little. Phil.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Gene" <OLDMANRIVER@ALLTEL.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <SHAKUHACHI@COMMUNICATION.UCSD.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Staining shakuhachi root ends?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:50:26 -0400
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Please forgive my dumb questions . . . .
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I notice a large percentage of shakuhachi are dark, sometimes almost black, particularly near the root end. And I assume this phenomenon was originally caused by something in the natural environment in which the bamboo grew. In addition though, some of the shakuhachi makers are now patently staining their root bamboo, in order to simulate this very delightful appearance.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Even the full sized plastic shakuhachi (not PVC), such as those available through Barry Nyosui Weiss at http://www.blowingzen.com/products.html now have the same dark root end.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;What sort of stain are the shakuhachi makers using on their bamboo? I was told tea, but that sounds a bit dubious, and is even the wrong color.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Thank you!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gene