Re: shakuhachi V1 #426

From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 17:14:00 PDT

> Thanks Phil, but this polishing does not turn almost the entire lower =
> half of a shakuhachi virtually black and leave the utaguchi and top half =
> of the instrument its natural color.
>
> Forgive me, but there is another explanation.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Gene

Hi Gene,
I'm not sure whether this will answer your question about the darkened
shakuhachis, but when choosing a piece of take as a prospective shakuhachi,
those involved in takehori will choose a piece not only for dimension, but
for aesthetic quality as well. Bamboo often has a kind of mold that grows
under the skin especially near the root, however, it can often be found
present throughout the length of the piece and the more the merrier. When
the take is properly cured, that mold will be black or dark brown. Older
bamboo (four to six years) will also has a general yellow-brown colouring
that over time, after being crafted and handled will darken to a near-black
colour. If the darkening happens only at or near the root, then it is
likely as a result of natural processes. If it happens at the root and the
uteguchi, then it is likely not a natural occurance and was intentionally
applied. I've been playing shakuhachi for 18 years and I have never seen an
instrument with this appearance by nature. I believe that, if it is
present, it is an attempt by maker to give an 'old' look to the insturment.
It's rather like taking a new, unfinished end table, beating it with a chain
then finishing it to give it an antique look To each his own is suppose.
hope this helps,
Jeff Cairns