animal critics

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 17:40:41 PDT

At 1:46 PM -0700 10/8/03, Brett Breitwieser wrote:
>This morning I was sitting zazen ... as is
>my habit I played a few notes on the shak before I sat and between sitting
>periods... I noticed a mourning dove outside started responding to my
>playing... very nice...

Last month I was in Ohio, a little west of Cleveland. The suburbs out
there have lots of original wooded areas, and I was playing long
tones while walking along a running trail near my hotel. I spied a
small deer (a mule deer I think) nearby, and he spied me. We just
looked at each other for a while.

I thought I'd treat him to a few phrases of "Tsuru No Sugomori" (A
Distant Cry of Deer). He fled immediately.

James
(needs more practice)