RE: shakuhachi recording with animal sounds

From: Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 09:42:19 PDT

Thanks!

The notes for the disc are interesting:

"This album is about place and about music in particular places, not just
the music I play but the entire soundscape. First places because they are
womb-like or generative: the depths of a cave, an empty church, the wet
fecundity of a frog pond."

This was the idea that was at the edge of my mind but I wasn't quite
conceptualizing...
it seems to me that the music is best when it is part of a natural
environment hence the mind's wish for "flutesongs rainy nights"... a "too
clean" studio environment might not be the best ambience... the bigger
picture (soundscape in this case) may be more appropriate...

I think that Paul Horn does a lot of this kind of thing with a different
kind of flute... I remember hearing the mosquitoes at the Taj Mahal... ;*}

We don't need to go overboard with this... but it's nice (dare I say less
egotistical?) to allow the world to leak in somehow... ;*)

Brett Breitwieser ( brett@bigskyranch.us) <mailto:brett@bigskyranch.us)>
"Crazy Cloud likes his own mind
its wish for flutesongs rainy nights,
drinking muttering beside his women..." (Ikkyu)