Re: recording shakuhachi

From: Phil James (sparklingbeatnik@msn.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 10:21:13 PDT

Personally I don't like most large diaphragm condensers for shakuhachi. Many
have a presence boost at around 2K (in imitation of Neumann U87), which is
great for vocals but accentuates the sibillance for shakuhachi as well as
making it edgy. I also prefer small diaphragms for picking up the high-end
transients of shakuhachi.

In fact, I don't really like close-micing shakuhachi at all -- I think in
most cases it works best as an instrument "in the space," collaborating with
its environment. After trying all kinds of configurations, I now prefer a
minimalist "classical music" stereo approach, with a pair of spaced omnis --
no EQing, no compression, no reverb. I have had really good results with
Earthworks QTC-1's, though any of the Schoeps, DPA, or Sennheiser MKH mics
with omni capsules should work great. Of course this requires a quiet
environment with decent acoustics, but I'd rather search that out than do a
lot of maniuplation of the recording. I have also had good results with M-S
stereo recording, using a small-condenser for the cardiod and a ribbon mic
for the figure-8.

I realize that a home studio is more likely to have a large condenser or two
hanging around than a matched pair of omnis or a M-S system, so if that's
the way you have to go there are some things to keep in mind:

1. Try to use a mic that doesn't have a presence boost, that is relatively
flat.
2. A couple of feet out, about 2/3 of the way down the flute is a good
starting point, then experiment -- this will vary a lot from player to
player. Avoid proximity effect (bass boost) that comes from being too close.
3. Even if the mic is at a distance, make sure it is off-axis (slightly
angled away) from the player's mouth.
4. When close-micing, I don't see much point in more than one mic. While
mixing the sound of two differently placed mics may reduce the need for
EQing, subtle phase problems are likely if the player moves the flute at
all.

I never like applying reverb, but if you have to do it make sure that it's
an algorithm with adequate and sophisticated high-end roll-off starting at 3
or 4K. Nothing is worse than that sound of a "distant" shakuhachi with the
sibillance front and center -- very artificial sound.