Re: animal critics

From: Mark Millonas (millonas@email.arc.nasa.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 11:51:24 PDT

At 05:40 PM 10/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>At 1:46 PM -0700 10/8/03, Brett Breitwieser wrote:
>>This morning I was sitting zazen ... as is
>>my habit I played a few notes on the shak before I sat and between sitting
>>periods... I noticed a mourning dove outside started responding to my
>>playing... very nice...

My two African grey parrots, who copy sounds nearly perfectly, and later
often morph
things according to their own aesthetic, like copying whatever
I'm playing or whistling at the moment. They can sing precise tunes of
around 20 notes,
but they also get the general spirit of things, and then like to accompany,
or just "riff" on their own.
Sometimes it is uncanny.

Perhaps I should upload a recording of
grey parrot shakuhachi music at some point.