Acoustic / Tonal attributions of Root-end curvature of a Shakuhachi

From: Tsunhin John Wong (thjwong@hkusua.hku.hk)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 02:39:28 PST

hi,

        I received information from a shakuhachi maker that the curve at
the root-end of a shakuhachi meant only an aesthetical purpose but have
no effect on the tonal/acoustic property of a shak. However, some of my
friends told me that they feel a tonal difference while playing shak with
a root-end curve and then shifting to one without a root-end curve
        Can anyone give me some idea regarding the subject?

- john