RE: Acoustic / Tonal attributions of Root-end curvature of a Shakuhachi

From: Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 07:33:23 PST

I'm a rather raw beginner but my 2 cents:

I've had both types... the root end was very pretty but a far better
instrument than I am (so I gave it to an accomplished student with a
teacher) but the one I play is a non-root end straight stick with no filler
of any kind, a big brute of a stick... it plays easy and is plain like I am.

Of course I also "play" a big 2" diameter, 40" long piece of PVC that only
plays RO (no finger holes)... this flute plays me rather than the other way
around...

Next I am working learning to play an Iron Flute... "a solid iron rod with
neither mouthpiece nor finger holes, blown upside down..." "the moon floats
above the pines and the night
veranda is cold as the ancient clear sound comes from your fingertips... the
old melody usually makes the listeners weep but zen music is beyond
sentiment, do not play again unless the great sound of Lao-tsu accompanies
you." "Give me ten more years"...

Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Big Sky Ranch of Arizuma: http://bigskyranch.us <http://bigskyranch.us>
Pahana's Pithouse: http://pahana.us <http://pahana.us>
Solar Station: http://solarstation.us

"Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
and the skies are not cloudy all day..."