Re: Acoustic / Tonal attributions of Root-end curvature of a Shakuhachi

From: Morris M. Keesan (keesan@world.std.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 09:05:31 PST

At 06:39 PM 10/26/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>However, some of my
>friends told me that they feel a tonal difference while playing shak with
>a root-end curve and then shifting to one without a root-end curve
> Can anyone give me some idea regarding the subject?

Two thoughts:
    People feel lots of differences which can't always be measured. It
would be interesting to see whether these friends could feel the
difference, or tell which was which, if given a root-end and non-root-end
and asked to play them blindfolded. It's amazing how much our expectations
can color our perceptions. I know that I, personally, get more enjoyment
out of playing instruments of all sorts that look nice, and probably play
better because of it -- I've spent too much money getting custom inlay on a
string instrument, knowing that it would have absolutely no effect on the
sound.

and

    I expect that shakuhachi makers probably make better flutes when
working with root ends. Since the root ends are more desired by players,
and bring higher prices, it makes sense to use more time and care when
finishing a root-end flute. Any makers on the list care to comment? If
you make both styles, do you put more work into the root-end bamboo?

--
Morris M. Keesan - keesan@world.std.com - http://world.std.com/~keesan/